- About Us
- Contract Attorneys
- Other Claimants
- Defense Resources
- Online Services
- Contact Us
Mark your calendars for the 2018 Public Defender Association of Iowa’s annual criminal law seminar! The seminar will take place Monday, June 18 through Wednesday, June 20 at the Ramada Tropics Conference Center and Resort, 5000 Merle Hay Drive, Des Moines, IA 50322.
This year’s seminar will feature speakers from around the country and colleagues from here in Iowa. Here is just a sampling of our presenters:
● Nikki Miras Mordini, "The Intersection of Criminal and Immigration Law." Ms. Mordini is a shareholder of the Davis Brown Law Firm in Des Moines. She practices in the areas of immigration, including removal/deportation, criminal law and family law.
● Elizabeth Kelley, "Representing People with Mental Disabilities Under the New ABA Standards." (Ethics). Ms. Kelley is a criminal defense attorney based in Spokane, WA, who specializes in representing individuals with mental illness, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and bi-polar disorder, as well as individuals with mental and intellectual disabilities. Elizabeth frequently lectures across the U.S. on representing persons with mental disabilities and frequently provides legal commentary for radio and television.
● Fay Arfa, "Attacking the Sexual Exam Findings: A Lawyer’s Perspective." Ms. Arfa is an attorney in Los Angeles, CA, who has been named one of the Top 100 Lawyers by the National Trial Lawyers and by the American Society of Legal Advocates. She was a featured speaker at the National Child Abuse Defense and Resource Center (NCADRC) National Conference. The NCADRC is dedicated to those who have been falsely accused of some type of child abuse.
● Tejas Bhatt, "Implicit Bias." (Ethics). Mr. Bhatt is an Assistant Public Defender in Hartford, CT, where he has represented individuals charged with the most serious crimes in trial courts, post-conviction proceedings and on appeal. He has trained other public defenders and testified before various legislative committees on criminal justice legislation. Mr. Bhatt is on the executive board of the Connecticut Criminal Defense Lawyers’ Association and has written extensively on criminal justice issues.
● Tara Godoy, "Strangulation" (Attorneys); "Medical Records Review" (Investigators). Ms. Godoy, BSN, RN, CFN, LNC, is a strangulation expert and the President, CEO, and Chief Forensic and Legal Nurse Consultant at Godoy Medical Forensics, Inc. Godoy Medical Forensics offers a wide range of medico-legal consulting services to both criminal and civil attorneys throughout the country.
We intend to seek 16 hours of Iowa CLE credit including 3 hours of ethics, and to apply for federal credit. Our juvenile track will take place the full day on Tuesday, June 19. Our investigator track will take place both Tuesday, June 19 and Wednesday, June 20.
We will have seminar t-shirts both for pre-order and for sale at the seminar! Look for our registration brochures to be circulated electronically and available on our website, http://pdaseminar.webs.com, and our Facebook page starting in mid-April. We look forward to seeing everyone June 18-20, 2018!