Online Claim Submission
As of March 1, 2020, all miscellaneous claims must be submitted electronically.
If you provided services for a State Public Defender Field Office, please select the appropriate field office from the drop down menu.
Claims for investigative services are governed by State Public Defender Rule 13.2(1), which should be reviewed carefully before submitting a claim. Claims not in compliance with Rule 13.2(1) will be reduced or denied.
PLEASE NOTE: The Summary of Required Elements has been updated.
Summary of Required Elements of an Investigator Claim
A completed SPD Substitute W-9 Form with your accurate information must be on file with our office.
A miscellaneous claim form (original and one copy) must be completed and must contain:
- The case name, entire case number and county in which the action is pending.
- The name of the attorney for whom the services were provided, if any.
- The date on which services commenced.
- The date on which services ended.
- The total number of hours claimed.
- The total amount of your claim.
- Claimant’s name, address, social security or federal tax identification number, and phone number.
- Signed by claimant
One copy of each of the following documents must be attached:
- The application and court order granting authority to hire the investigator.
- The order appointing counsel, an order with a finding of indigence for a pro se party (party not represented by counsel), or a Missildine order pursuant to Iowa Code section 815.1 (2019).
- An itemization of the investigator’s services detailing the expenses incurred, the services rendered, the dates on which the services were rendered, the time spent on each date, and the manner in which the amount of the claim was calculated.
- A court order approving the dollar amount of the claim. If the court order authorizing hiring the investigator sets a limit for the claim, this additional approval order is unnecessary.
Claims must be submitted online: https://spdclaims.iowa.gov/